What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Posted in Firm News on July 24, 2018
Traffic accidents happen every day in America. Distracted drivers, navigating the roads at reckless speeds, people in a hurry; these events can result in severe damage to multi vehicles, serious injury and even death. Cruz & Associates has more than 25 years of experience in personal injury litigation. Every client we serve is unique, and our team views every case as an opportunity to give back. Our Atlanta car accident attorneys work tirelessly to guide you and your family through every step of the legal process, with the unifying goal to bring resolution to your case in an equitable and timely manner.
What should you do after a car accident?
Focus on first is your own well-being. Are you okay? Are your fellow passengers okay? Is everyone else involved in the accident okay? Beyond those considerations, what you do next could be difference between a significant hardship on your family and future, or just compensation for the hardship you’ve just endured.
- If the accident is minor begin the process of slowly moving your vehicle out of traffic and over to a safe place on the shoulder or in the median.
- Shift the vehicle into park, turn off the ignition, and turn on your hazard lights.
- If you have an emergency kit in your vehicle, retrieve cones, warning triangles, or safety flares, position them behind or in front of your vehicle
- Evaluate your injuries, you first, and then your passengers; when in doubt call emergency personnel and have them send an ambulance
- Contact Law Enforcement – even if you feel the accident is minor. A detailed police report will be invaluable in the ensuing claim process, and will help establish who is at fault
- Names and contact information of drivers, passengers and witnesses
- Descriptions of vehicles involved.
- Driver’s license and license plate numbers
- Insurance company names and policy numbers
- Location (mile marker) or address of accident scene
- Law Enforcement and EMT names, and badge numbers
- Photograph all vehicles involved, and the accident scene
- Do not signany document unless it’s for the police or your insurance agent.
- Be courteous and respectively
- Do not admit guilt, even if you believe you are at fault.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney
If you have sustained injury, accumulated medical bills, experienced lost income from work, or damage to your vehicle resulting from an automobile accident, you may be entitled to significant compensation for those losses. Whether the accident was your fault or another driver’s, dealing with insurance companies and lawyers is an intricate process, one that requires experience, patience and professionalism.
Exploring legal remedies can is an important decision. Throughout this process will want to surround yourself and your loved ones with legal professionals who are trustworthy and experienced. With 25 years of history successfully litigating auto accidents and personal injury cases, we encourage you to consider Cruz & Associates and set up a free case evaluation today.
An attorney with our firm schedule a consultation and analyze your case, walking you through all of your remedy options. Our attorneys have proven experience in all aspects of personal injury law and will apply this knowledge and professionalism to your case. Contact Cruz & Associates today for help.