Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyer
Cruz & Associates serves the people of the Atlanta area by providing comprehensive legal services for all types of truck accident cases. Accidents involving tractor-trailers or “big rigs” are some of the most damaging vehicle accidents possible, and we understand the challenges facing individuals injured in such accidents. It’s vital to know why tractor-trailer accidents happen and what to expect from a lawsuit. And always know, the Atlanta truck accident attorneys at Cruz & Associates are here to help you.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Big rigs travel more miles of road at a time and drive more frequently than typical cars. Additionally, tractor-trailers are exponentially larger and heavier than standard motor vehicles. Due to this extreme wear-and-tear and the demanding nature of truck driving, tractor-trailers have much more significant maintenance requirements than other smaller vehicles. Truck drivers also have a higher duty of care to other drivers on the road than the average driver due to the size, weight, and inherently more dangerous nature of their vehicles. Many other factors can come into play as well. Some of the most common causes of big rig accidents include:
- Driver negligence. Truck drivers may choose to consume alcohol or stimulants to combat fatigue and meet tight deadlines. Others may neglect to eat and rest when necessary. If
drivers fail to uphold their duty of care on the road they risk absorbing liability for the accidents they cause.
- Failure to follow safety protocols. The trucking industry faces heavy regulation from various government agencies, including the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the United States Department of Transportation. Failure to meet regulations concerning driver training, hours of service, vehicle maintenance, or security guidelines for certain types of cargo can cause serious accidents.
- Road hazards and severe weather. Tractor-trailers are heavier and less maneuverable than smaller passenger cars. Tight turns at high speed can cause tip-overs, and strong winds can potentially knock an empty trailer on its side.
- Poor maintenance. Trucking companies must ensure the vehicles their drivers operate are fit for service and receive all required maintenance in a timely and effective manner. Failure to perform adequate maintenance can lead to unpredictable hazards on the road.
- Vehicle defects. Defective vehicles or parts can easily cause accidents, and the manufacturer of a defective part or vehicle can absorb liability for any resulting damages.
- Aggressive driving. When truck drivers speed, take aggressive actions on the road, or otherwise drive recklessly they present a serious danger to every other driver nearby. Other drivers who engage in aggressive driving tactics can also cause big rig accidents.
The Truck Accident Lawsuit Process
Depending on how your trucking injury occurred, your case could fall under one or more types of legal practice and many even involve multiple defendants. Any entity who bears liability for an accident potentially faces civil action from an injured victim. If a truck driver causes an accident while performing his or her job duties, the employer could face liability. If the driver’s actions fell outside the scope of work or occurred while off-duty, the driver may face liability alone. A defective vehicle or part could lead to a product liability claim against the manufacturer, and an aggressive driving accident could potentially involve multiple drivers. The truck accident lawsuit process includes:
- Investigation: The Atlanta truck accident attorneys at Cruz & Associates will investigate the scene of the truck accident and gather evidence to prove who was at-fault for the incident.
- Creating your claim: Your attorney will use all evidence to build and file your truck accident claim against the negligent driver or trucking company. It will include you injuries, monetary damages, and an explanation of how the driver or trucking company is negligent.
- Negotiations: Cruz & Associates will do everything in our power to settle your case without having to go through a lengthy and expensive trial. In the event that the negotiations, also known as “mediation”, is not successful – the case will have to go to trial.
- Litigation: Should your case go to trial, Cruz & Associates has a team of truck accident attorneys who are well-versed in the courtroom. We will work tirelessly to secure the compensation you deserve from the negligent driver or trucking company.
Cruz & Associates has built a strong reputation spanning more than 25 years of successful car accident cases in the Atlanta area, so allow us to put our resources and experience to work in your case. We can help you recover your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income, and property damage after a big rig accident. Reach out to our team to schedule a free case evaluation about your trucking accident claim in Atlanta, and we’ll let you know how our firm can help.